UKRO believe that the first call could be launched on 15 March 2011, with closing dates on 15 June and 8 November 2011. The budget for the calls is expected to be €10m overall. This will be split between the two deadlines. However, if they're inundated at the first deadline they may cancel the November round. The intention is that applicants will be able to resubmit to future rounds.
From this pot roughly 66 projects may be funded (each project being worth up to €150k). There are currently about 1,600 ERC grant holders who may apply, but many of these grants are in the early stages, so it is hard to estimate how many proposals will be received.
UKRO believe the proposal format will be:
- a 7 page application long, with additional attachments such as 'letters of support', which will include the following sections:
- A short description of the idea and its relation to the previous ERC grant (although this is not specifically judged during peer review, it is still likely to be checked by the ERC Executive Agency staff);
- Outline an early-stage innovation strategy for the idea;
- Outline a reasonable and plausible plan of the activities; and
- Budget: list of requested resources and proper justification.
Do note, however, that this is early information, and details could well change, so treat with caution.