Amongst the findings of the review, Lawson noted:
- that there had been an 8% pa increase in Research Council funding in real terms since fEC was introduced;
- that success rates were down, but it was unclear if fEC was a factor in this;
- that 50% of universities thought the number and type of application had not changed. Most of the others thought they now submitted 'fewer but better';
- that there was little monitoring of over-commitment of staff to RCUK projects;
- that investigator time on proposals initially halved after the introduction of fEC, but had now returned to pre-fEC levels.